A Spy in the House, redesigned!

Hello, friends! I just received an absolutely wonderful surprise in the mail. (If you’re thinking that authors often receive delightful surprises in the mail, you’re right. As if we need another reason to feel privileged…) It was a bulging, oversized sack containing a envelope full of this:

Yes, that image is massive. Can you tell I’m excited? Ideally, I’d like to be able to see it from the moon.

This is the redesigned cover that’s now on the UK and Australian editions of A Spy in the House. The full cover looks like this:

I love everything about this cover: colour, font, background image, the Mary Quinn logo that looks like a cameo, the rubbed and weathered effect around the corners… I have one front and centre in my study and every time I glance at it, I smile.

The old cover, the first UK cover, looked like this:

I still think this is a strong cover. The gloves glow, the fonts are well chosen, and I love the map of London in the background. It’s also a great homage to classic mystery design (think Agatha Christie), which often shows key plot elements in a kind of still-life.

But this one? This one is a stunner. I’m so glad that my UK publisher, Walker Books, redesigned it for this new printing. And I’m ecstatic to know that it’s now out there, in bookstores.

What do you think? Thoughts, impressions, preferences?

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “A Spy in the House, redesigned!”

1. Calla says:

Ah, I LOVE that cover!!! Now I wish I lived in the UK, but oh well, I like the cover that the US has, too!! Can’t wait to read the next book in this series!!!!

2. That is beautiful! And what a strong statement of faith in your novels from your publisher. Hurrah all round! :)

3. Breana M. says:

Uh, is it wrong to say that I like the U.K. cover better than the U.S. cover? :)

I like both. But what I really like and find interesting is that they put the house on the cover this time. It makes sense since it’s called ” A Spy in the House”.

5. Yahong Chi says:

Oh, I LOVE that old-timey font on the new cover! I also love how it lets the title stand front and centre in front of the moody image behind and the lovely “worn” edges.

6. Joanna says:

I love the new one! The old cover was nice too, but this just has that vintage feel that the other one lacked. And I LOVE the female figure with the question mark.

Thank you so much for all your enthusiasm, friends! I still catch myself staring at it, adoringly. And Breana M., I don’t think it’s wrong to prefer it to the US cover. Doesn’t that just mean you ought to have dual citizenship? ;)

8. GEW says:

Oh, wow! I, too, LOVE the new UK cover. Stunning, indeed! Congratulations!

9. Harriet says:

I first saw that cover and really wanted it as i had the body at the tower in the same way but i got it as the second one you showed and now its out in the uk then i wish i had it!

I feel your frustration, Harriet: I love matching covers, too!