A Bear in the House

Hello friends, and Happy Hallowe’en day! It’s cool and raining here in Kingston, and we’re all very grateful that Hurricane Sandy lost momentum before getting here. It’s strange to think of so many communities still without power, still scrabbling for basic needs, while we here contemplate costumes and candy. It’ll be a bittersweet Hallowe’en, for sure.

I thought I’d show you what I’m up to this morning: finishing up a costume for a four-year-old who wants to be “a big brown bear”.

The ears are still waiting to be attached. Then all we need is brown pants, some black eyeliner for a nose and whiskers, and the roaring can begin!

I hope you have a Hallowe’en that’s memorable for all the best reasons.

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “A Bear in the House”

We just got the cold and rain here. Hopefully the people who got the worst of it will recover soon. So, you are crafty? Do you do other crafts besides sew? Let us know how he liked his costume.

2. Oh, wow. That is a fabulous bear costume! Hope he had a really lovely time. (My four-year-old was a dinosaur, but I was a total wimp about it – just a shop-bought costume, because I’m pathetically inept at sewing.)

Glad to hear you’re suffering nothing worse than grey skies, MelodyJ! I’m extremely minor-league crafty – just competent enough to sew faux-fur to a storebought hoodie, which is all I really did yesterday. Are you crafty? And our boy loved his bear costume – lots of tail-wagging and roaring, and he insisted on wearing it to school today!

Aw, thank you, Steph, but I must confess: it’s just faux-fur shapes on a storebought hoodie. Anyone can do that! And how was MrD’s Hallowe’en? Are you awash in extra candy? For your sake, I hope so! :D

5. Helena says:

OMG! Awww! I did the EXACT same thing except for a frog costume (I was the frog prince) hat I wore to a costume competition for a book week and won a prize! Except I’m sure he looked much cuter than I did haha! :D

6. Radha says:

Haha– that’s SOOO cute. My neighbor (who’s like 3 years old) went as a hotdog and the other as a tatter tot! My house wasn’t hit too bad by Irene either (i like in MA), but I know a few that lost power and had flooding, it’s really terrible.

Congrats on your prize, Helena! Yours must have been an awesome costume. And if your Hallowe’en involved eating a ton of sugar at a party, dancing to “Ghostbusters”, followed by a little trick-or-treating, we pretty much had parallel evenings. :D

A hot dog – I love it! I may have to steal that idea another year. I’m glad to hear you weren’t too badly hit, personally.

I knit, crochet and make jewelry and craft painting.. I’ve tried polymer clay, melt & pour soap making and toiletry making. I want try embroidery and sewing next.

Oh, wow! Sounds like you should have an Etsy store, Meloday. I’m still getting to know my sewing machine – I can make pyjama pants and the like, but I have a long way to go. I’ve done a little needle-felting, too, but I need to get better at sewing before I let myself try new crafts.