Year of the Ox

Hello friends, and Happy New Year! Are you celebrating the Lunar New Year and if so, how? At my house, we’re feeling casual this year: a family dinner, a few little gifts, nothing extravagant. The Year of the Dragon will be busy and adventurous for us, I can feel it.

You probably know what your animal sign is (calculator here, if you don’t), and wikipedia does a reasonable job of summarizing each animal’s characteristics. Although I have only a passing curiosity in astrology, I began to wonder what zodiac animal Mary Quinn is. Although her precise date of birth is unknown, she was born in 1841, making her an Ox. (Probably. If she was born before January 25, 1841, though, she’d be a Rat.)

So if you’re a believer in Chinese astrology, you’d say that Mary Quinn should be “dependable, ambitious, calm, methodical, born leader, patient, hardworking, conventional, steady, modest, logical, resolute, and tenacious. Can be stubborn, dogmatic, hot-tempered, narrow-minded, materialistic, rigid, and demanding” (description from wikipedia). Hm. I don’t see “impatient” in that list of traits…

As for James Easton, he was born in the summer of 1839, making him a Pig. (Mary could have told you that the first time they met, right?) Apparently, pigs are “honest, gallant, sturdy, sociable, peace-loving, patient, loyal, hard-working, trusting, sincere, calm, understanding, thoughtful, scrupulous, passionate, and intelligent. Can be na├»ve, over-reliant, self-indulgent, gullible, fatalistic, and materialistic.” Again, the description misses one of James’s main characteristics: arrogance. Tsk, tsk.

What’s your astrological sign, and how accurate do you think it is?

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Year of the Ox”

1. Helena says:

woo i share the same sign with mary quinn! haha im an ox too :D i think i am quite calm, im also very ambitious, id say i can be fairly dependable… i am normally patient however sometimes i can be very impatient especially when it comes to waiting for presents! i like people who are modest as it is like myself, and i get on with them well. i definitely can be stubborn!! sometimes i can be hot tempered too. what does dogmatic mean though? :D happy chinese new year!! :)

2. Radha says:

I’m an Ox- just like Mary!!!! I’d rather not admit it, but those traits (especially the bad ones :) ) fit me completely. The Dragon and Tiger fits me as well- but I’m pretty sure the opposite of me is the Rabbit. I guess I can be arrogant and bossy- what’s your zodiac?

3. JaneE says:

I googled it and discovered I am a rat, also possibly like Mary. I was slightly disheartened at the news, until I discovered I was full of wit and imagination and likewise inquisitive, slightly cunning, and inventive. I was also born in the same year as one of my favourite authors, Charlotte Bronte. It actually freakishly describes me…except for the social part :P

I would also like to know what your zodiac is, if you don’t mind sharing. :)

Apparently I am a Monkey. Some of the traits are correct in a surprising manner (apparently if I feel ill, it’s usually because I’m nervous or anxious; not too far from the truth). I can be mischevious, but not on a regular basis. But the split on being right and wrong is pretty even.

5. rayray says:

omg im an ox too!
    i think hot tempered fits me pretty well, i can be hard working if i feel like it, last year my writing teacher said i had leadership skills. M friends tel me that I’m not the opposite of narrow minded and i am stubborn.

Wow – so many Oxen! I’m glad I asked. Helena, “dogmatic” means a tendency to be rigid about rules and the “right” way of doing things. Is that you? Radha and JaneE, of course I don’t mind sharing: I’m a Tiger. Tigers are supposed to be “unpredictable, rebellious, colorful, powerful, passionate, daring, impulsive, vigorous, stimulating, sincere, affectionate, humanitarian, and generous. Can be restless, reckless, impatient, quick-tempered, obstinate, selfish, aggressive, and moody.” It’s not too far off, really. And JaneE, “Rat” sounds awful, doesn’t it? But it’s considered a lucky sign. Superstitious people often try to have babies in auspicious years, and I’m told there was a bit of a boom in 2008 (the most recent Year of the Rat).

7. Dulcinea says:

i am yet another ox, some things about the description were pretty spot on, such as, i really dont like lazy people, its a peeve im seriously working on, and i am picky-choosy about my friends. but if there is one thing im not, its an outdoorsy person. i like picnics and strolls through gardens as much as the next person, but i tend to back away slowly when it comes to outdoor work, so reading that made me laugh.
    thanks for putting this on your website! cool entry and i liked the zodiac calculator too :D

Thanks, Dulcinea! I always enjoy horoscopes, although I don’t believe in them.

9. Guneet says:

I thought it was year of the dragon. Or atleast that was the picture on my calendar I got from Mandarin! LoL

It is. You have to read the blog post to see why I called it Year of the Ox!