“Is that really you?”

Well, hello there. This week I have some new pictures to you show you and in true, immodest writerly fashion, they are of me. Posing.

This fall, Kingston Life magazine profiled eight local authors (including Steven Heighton, Helen Humphreys and Jamie Swift, so I was in awfully distinguished company), had us talk about the writing life, and commissioned photos for all of us. Talk about living the dream! It’s now time for me to update my author photograph, so I asked photographer Scott Adamson for some images from the shoot and he kindly sent me a bunch. My only difficulty here is which to use. Here are my two favourites:

They were both taken at one of my favourite spots in Kingston, and the water I’m standing in is Lake Ontario. And no, the photos don’t lie; it’s glorious here.

Speaking of photos lying, though: with my old author photo, an acquaintance said, “Wow. You look so… good in that picture.” And with the new one, someone else said, “That’s a VERY flattering photo.” (WordPress lacks caps big enough to do justice to her “VERY”.) Both times, I was most amused.

What’s the funniest/most ridiculous thing someone’s said to you about a photo?

Tags: ,

7 Responses to ““Is that really you?””

1. Steph Burgis says:

Those are both fabulous photos! For an author photo, though, I think I’d personally choose #2 just because the close-up on your face feels more accessible.

And oh, I miss the Great Lakes! I can’t wait to be able to visit them again.

2. JaneE says:

The photos are both beautiful! I have been to Kingston twice on occasion, but both times were just passing through…I have yet to enjoy it more in depth.

Possibly the weirdest thing I’ve ever been told about a photo of myself is that I look like a smurf. I was wearing a lot of VERY heavy make-up, and I had to agree with the decision. lol

3. helena :D says:

i love the photos :D i love the second one, i think it looks more like an authory kind of photo :)

Thank you so much, everyone! Steph, that’s a great point about the face being accessible – looking at the viewer, not being distracted by something else (which is possibly what you’re getting at, helena?). And JaneE, Kingston *is* gorgeous (though obviously I’m biased…) – I highly recommend stopping if you can! And you’re one up on me with the “smurf” comment. I’ve never been told that! :D

5. Radha says:

I like the second one the best!! But I like the background in the first one. Is it in the same area where you took that other photo you put on the back of your books? It seems like it, but Im not really sure. And I love the dress you have on! It seems casual, but nice as well. And the funniest (not for me, though) thing someone had said about my photo was “Eww Radha, was that really you?!?” It was my younger sister after she saw this weird expression I was making with my face when I was two. -__-

6. Shann says:

1) The second picture looks more professional.
    2) After my dad took a picture of me when I was 6, my mom thought that I looked cross-eyed. Then she panicked a little and scheduled an optometrist appointment. The entire time from that point to the appointment she’d tell every relative and family friend that I was getting terrible eyesight or getting brain issues. She still does, but to a lesser extent :P . I know she does it because she cares. :)
    3) If there were Agency posters or other merch, I would get one in a heartbeat. :)
    4)I loved the video!

I hope you had fun this holiday with your admired picture books. lol :P

Radha, my first author photo was taken on vacation in Ballantrae, Scotland. And thank you – that might be my favourite dress of all time, because it’s so comfortable yet not a sack! And I bet your two-year-old’s weird face was adorable.

Nice to hear from you, Shann, and I love, love, love that story about your so-called (mom-called?) “brain issues”! Oh wow. Glad you know it’s because she loves you. ;) I did print a bunch of Agency t-shirts a while ago but I feel funny about selling them – I want to give them as gifts. So I’ll be giving the very last one away at the end of Feb, when Traitor is published here. And I did have a lovely holiday with books and family; hope you did, too!