Happy Hallowe’en!

Hello, friends! I hope you’ll indulge my parental amusement for a minute. This is the jack o’lantern designed by our resident 3-year-old. Is it just me, or is a small child’s drawing of a face more frightening than any deliberately spooky design?

I mean, I wouldn’t want to sit next to this character on a long-distance bus ride…

I had an fantastic Hallowe’en surprise yesterday when this was delivered to my door:

Food52 is a place where anyone can join to enter their recipes in contests (or you can just hang out, comment, and drool over the gorgeous food photography). They give out lovely prizes and compile the winners into cookbooks such as this one. The site is now extremely competitive; casual cooks beware! But back in the days when things were, shall we say, still in my league, I won a contest with my recipe for Overnight Steel-Cut Oats. It’s here, now, in the first Food52 Cookbook and I’m absolutely tickled.

What did you get up to for Hallowe’en? Were there any surprises – pleasant or otherwise – in your day?

Tags: ,

8 Responses to “Happy Hallowe’en!”

1. Helena :) says:

I love your son/daughter’s pumpkin design :D it’s so original. Destined to be an artist i think hehe! :D

2. Guneet says:

I was dressed as a vampire as I have told you in our little daily “chats”. My dance at school was pretty good and i had a good time. But no suprises unfortunately. How was your halloween?

3. JaneE says:

My mom and I stuck around at home for Halloween and then went to see ‘The Three Musketeers’. I dressed up as a War of 1812 captain from a book I’m writing. It wasn’t totally authentic, but I enjoyed Halloween this year. :)

4. rayray says:

i went home, walked to our shop with my sister, ate, did my sisters tiger make up. then, without telling me, my mother set up for my sister’s friend to take my sister and i trick or treating. My sister’s friend’s family is indian, and her dad got my intrested in indian dancing.
    then i convinced my sister’s friend’s brother, who rides my bus, to go trick or treating with us. i paid sorely for that, cause he and his sister thought it was funny to jump out of the dark and freak me out. there was a house taht made really scary noises. i saw a group of guys trick or treating in that neighborhood too.
    i got home at 9:30 and did 1-11 of my math problems, untill i realized you only had to do the odds, and i had 8 more problems left. i tried to them the nxt morning but it didnt work out. i didnt finish my spanish hw either but the teacher gave us an extra day.
    im prob gonna get like a c as my first math assignment, but hopefully ill be able to get it up.

actually, its sort of ironic, cause i forgot my first math assignment of the year at home, and now i didnt finish my first math assignment of the 2nd quarter.
    lol.

My Hallowe’en was great, Guneet. We had a neighbourhood party (it’s becoming an annual tradition) and trick-or-treated a bit on the way home. Helena, the “mouth” was originally at the top of the face but he changed his mind. :) JaneE, your costume sounds wonderful! Hope you got some pics. And the Indian dancing sounds really interesting, rayay.

6. Radha says:

Whenever I go trick-or-treating we always pass a house where a guy with a mask and a chainsaw run after us when we stand in front of his house. It freaks us out of course, and gets us tired cause we have to run a couple blocks until he actually stops, but it’s always soooo much fun!

7. rayray says:

Somebody at school said there was a guy who did that to them too!
    except the chainsaw was off.

You GUYS, that is insane! I might never recover if someone chased me down the street with a chainsaw, even on Hallowe’en.