The Agency 4!

Hello friends! I have lovely news to share with you today.

First, A Spy in the House has been nominated for the Canadian Children’s Book Centre’s brand-new John Spray Mystery Award! Can I possibly hold my breath from now until the winners are announced in October?

Second, I’ll be reading, signing, and talking about the Victorians at the Mississauga Public Library on August 27, as their Teen Summer Reading program concludes. I’ll post more details here closer to the event.

And finally, I’m absolutely overjoyed to announce that there will be a fourth and final Agency novel. Its working title is Rivals in the City. There’s no publication date yet (I have to finish the book first!), but I’m so thrilled to be immersed in Mary Quinn’s world, one last time. I hope you’ll agree.

Happy long weekend, Canadian and American readers!

Tags: , , ,

239 Responses to “The Agency 4!”

1. Catie says:

Hi Y.S.Lee
    I read all three books in 3 days. I loved them. My mom found them for me so I was skeptical but they are amazing. I was thriled when I heard about the fourth book. I am excited but sad becaue it will be the last book. I dnt really like historical books, I like dystopian novels but The Agency changed that. Great job! Are you going to make these a film? That would be great. Have you written any other books? Thanks
    Catie

Thank you for stopping by, Sharon and Catie. Sharon, my parents emigrated from S’pore when I was 2 but I’m thoroughly Singaporean about my food! So glad you’ve enjoyed The Agency thus far, and thank you for waiting patiently for #4! Catie, I’m honoured to have converted you to the pleasures of historical fiction! I would love to see the books filmed. There aren’t plans to do so right now, but I live in hope. And while The Agency is the only fiction I’ve written so far (my other books are academic/textbooks), I hope to keep writing for a long time yet.

3. Catie says:

Thank you for responding! I would love to see The Agency become a film! After reading your books, I wanted to be an author. So far, I have written a few chapters. I love writing mysteris so I immediatly loved your books. I can not wait for the fourth book. I am dying for it! Do you have a title for it? I love the romance between Mary and James. Do they get married? I also love your writing style. Your writing style is amazing and so eloquent. Again, love your books so much and so excited for the fourth book!

Hi again, Catie! Thank you so much for your compliments. To answer your questions, the working title is Rivals in the City but I’m thinking of changing it, now that I’m working on the major revisions. And while I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, I think you’ll be happy with the ending between Mary and James. Best of luck with your own writing!

5. Chouchoute says:

Salut ,
    J’ai adoré les 3 tome des aventures de Mary et j’attend. Avec impatience le 4 !!!
    J’espère que tout va bien se terminer entre James et Mary pas comme dans le crime de l’horloge !!
    J’adorerais qu’il y ai un film
    Bon écriture pour le dernier tome !!

6. Lexa says:

I am so excited for the Agency number 4 to come out! Is there a publication date yet? I really hope that Mary and James have a good ending! I love them as a couple soooooo much! I am looking forward to learning.about Felicity’s new agency!
    Lexa

Thank you so very much, Chouchoute and Lexa! I’m afraid there’s no pub date yet but I’m now at work on my first round of editorial revisions, so Progress is Happening. I’m so honored and relieved to have patient readers like you!

8. Kelly says:

This series is amazing, please write more than four books! It’s getting so interesting now with Mary and James having their own agency…there’s so much potential for new stories. They don’t even have to come out right away, but they’re too good to stop! Please, please, please, write more! I love Victorian literature, and it’s so hard to find original stories like these.

And if you do decide to stop writing for this series, which I really hope you won’t, please write another set of books…even if they’re for adults. You write so well, I got through the books so fast; and it’s rare when I can’t set a book down.

Love your style, and your imagination! Please, never stop writing!

Kelly

You’re making me blush, Kelly! Thank you so very much for your enthusiasm. I’m revising this book right now, and afterwards I have something completely different planned. I hope you’ll enjoy the next novel, too!

10. Chaton ;) says:

Hello ! I’m french and I read your book and it’s amazing !! Iove Mary and James ! When the book comes out in French ? :DDD
    Now Geoges like Mary or always not ?

Hello Chaton, and thank you very much! I’m afraid I don’t have good news for you: my French publisher hasn’t bought the fourth Agency novel. I very much hope this will change, but right now there are no plans to translate it. Have you read the first three?

12. Chaton says:

Oh no ! What a pity ! I will can progress in English x) thanks for the information. Of course ! I read your firth three book and they are great !!

Thanks, Chaton! And if I do learn of a French edition of the 4th, I’ll let you know asap!

14. Charys says:

I have enjoyed your books tremendously! I have been sick the last 2 days and I stayed up day and night reading them. I just finished the third one and was sad when I found out that the fourth wasn’t out yet. But I am beyond ecstatic for it to come out! I absolutely love Mary and James! And I cannot wait to find out what you have in store for them next! You are an amazing writer. Please never stop! :)

I’m sorry for this slow reply, Charys, and thank you for your lovely comments! I’m so glad Mary Quinn could help you through a winter virus. And thanks for the encouragement!

16. Ash says:

Your books are so amazing and I’m really excited that they’ll be a fourth one! It’s been a while since I read them now but I am still thinking about the world and characters you created… They were my savior on a 12 hour flight that would have otherwise been unbearable but I remember being at the end of one of them when we landed (I don’t remember which one) and I was almost sad to get off the plane because I was so immersed in Victorian London. I’ve always wanted to be a writer and your books inspired me, so thank you! And I can’t wait till the fourth one is published so that I can once again delve into Mary Quinn’s world…

Thank you so much, Ash! Your anecdote about being “almost sad to get off the plane” is one of the best compliments I’ve ever been paid. Thanks for waiting so patiently for Rivals in the City.

18. Natalie says:

I wanted to thank you for writing the best book series ever made about mystery. I have to say I don’t commonly enjoy books, I usually either skim through it or don’t understand it at all. This book happened to be highly recommended by my english teacher and my friend said it was AMAZING! Thanks for writing the most entertaining books ever made
    Sincerely,Natalie

19. Natalie says:

Hi Again
    I just wanted to say that the Agency would make an amazing film someday!! People will be drawn in to the movie just like the books! Love your books to death! I read them a lllllll day!! Thanks so much for creating great historical books! Now I like history even more than I already did! Thanks to you I have another great book series to recommend to my friends and my cousin!
    Sincerely,
    Natalie!

Natalie, thanks for stopping by and for your lovely, enthusiastic comments! I’m thrilled to hear you’ve enjoyed the Agency, especially since you’re not a diehard bookworm. You’ve made my day. And yes, I would love to see a film version, too. Fingers crossed!

21. Julia says:

I really love the Agency books and I can’t wait for the next one. I agree with everyone that there should be a movie… You mentioned another series… Is there anything you can reveal about it?

Thank you very much, Julia! I would LOVE to see the series become a movie (or 4). My next project isn’t a series, but I can tell you that it’s set in Malaya during the Second World War. It’s still very early so I don’t know much more about it, but it’s a lot of fun trying to figure it all out.

23. Lauren says:

Hi,
    I’m so excited to hear there’s going to be a fourth book!! I’m 14 and read the first of the series when I was 13, the series is one of my favorite. I really want to see your books turned into movies, that’d be great! I love stories made during this time so these were definitely eye catchers for me. ;) And I love the connection between Mary and James, it just makes me so happy! And you make everything so realistic! It’s amazing! I’ll be sad after I finish reading the fourth book because those amazing adventures will be over, that’s the only thing I don’t like about good books. ;) I want to be an author but unfortunately I’m not quite good with writing stories and sticking to the plots. :( Even so, I love to be pulled into great books like yours! Again, like I said, I’m excited to hear there’s a fourth book. :D Can’t waittttt!! :D

24. Emily says:

Your books are amazing! Has the fourth book come out yet? I am so excited for it

Lauren, thank you so much for commenting and for your very kind words! I don’t think anyone is born a good writer, so I’d encourage you to keep working at it! Emily, thank you very much indeed. Rivals in the City finally has pub dates: June 2014 in the UK/World and February 2015 in the U.S. and Canada. I’m sorry it’s been such a long wait, and I hope you’ll find it worthwhile!

26. Katrina says:

Dear Ms. Lee,

First of all I really love your books. I just finished the third Agency book and, like the previous two, it was amazing! I love stories with a historical setting and even though I don’t read a lot of mystery, this series is wonderful! I also love the chemistry between James and Mary, and I can’t wait for the next one!!! You’re one of my favourite authors!

Thank you VERY much, Katrina! I’m thrilled to know how much you’ve enjoyed the Agency.

28. Wen Qi says:

I love your books and I can’t wait for the next one! Please finish it soon

Thank you, Wen Qi! Rivals in the City is now finished. It’ll be published in the UK/Australia/Rest of World in June this year, and in North America in Feb 2015. Hope you find it worth the wait!

30. Chaton says:

Hello, I wanted to know if you found a publisher who would agree to publish Volume 4 of the agency in French? :)
    Thank you very much ! This story is very amazing !! :D

Hello Chaton, and thank you for your kind words! I’m afraid I don’t yet have a French publisher for Rivals. Do you feel comfortable reading in English?

32. Angie says:

Hello, Ms. Lee. I am a HUGE fan of your books and was saddened to see that your third novel in the series was not available in audiobook format. Any reason why? Any plans to make these last two books in the series in audio format? I would greatly appreciate it. Either way thank you for the journey!

Hi Angie, and thank you for stopping by! I’m sorry to tell you that there are no plans to release the last two books in audio format. It’s a financial decision on the part of my publisher, Candlewick. I’m so glad to know you’ve enjoyed the first two, and hope you’ll find your way to the last two, either on paper or as e-books.

34. a other girl says:

Hello, when is published the volume number 4???
    I love this stories!

Hello, and thank you very much! The UK/Australian edition will be published in June 2014; the North American edition is coming in February 2015. Hope that helps. :)

36. Dutour says:

Hello,
    I’m french and i love your Mary and James ´s story
    Please when the last one will be in french ?
    Pléiade

Hello Dutour, I’m very sorry to say that there are no plans to translate the fourth novel into French right now. I wish I could give you a different answer. :( Are you comfortable reading the English edition?

38. Sayuri says:

Hello,
    I’m French and I adore “The Agency”, it is my favorite book.
    It’s a pity that the volume 4 is not translated into French : ( .But I love so much this book which I think of trying to perfect my English to be able to read it :D.

Sayuri, I’m really disappointed that there are no plans to translate it, right now. Thank you for your very kind words, and good luck with perfecting your English! :)