Snow Day!

Yesterday, instead of going to daycare and working, my son and I:

- frolicked in the snow

- marvelled at its relentlessness when all signs of shovelling were obliterated after an hour

- waited for my brother to say he’d arrived safely in Toronto

- built an elaborate railway only to dismantle it after the bridge fell down 15 times in as many minutes

- chanted “Pease Porridge Hot” approximately 50 times

- made cookies

- and played a game based on this book (which my mother-in-law found at a jumble sale, and which is utterly charming):

I didn’t know it until yesterday but writers, like kids, get snow days. Another reason to call it the finest job on earth! What did you do in the snow?

P.S. I’ve done a short interview for Kingstonist. My interviewer was Caitlin Fralick, a public librarian, which feels like an all-round win.

Tags:

6 Responses to “Snow Day!”

1. Steph Burgis says:

The Tiger Who Came to Tea is one of MrD’s favorite books! We actually have 2 copies, because the first one started to fall apart from too many re-readings over the last year and a half. (But the second one came with a beautiful china “tiger who came to tea” childrens’ teaset!)

Hope the cookies were yummy!

2. Colleen says:

Sounds like a lovely day! The snow wasn’t very bad here in the end, so I read some but generally had a regular day. Boo.

3. jenn says:

aw, i love “the tiger who came to tea.” and snow days are the best.

not the most profound commenting i’ve ever done, but there you go.

Steph, I can’t wait to meet up in real life so I can browse your bookshelves. We seem to have such close taste in books! Colleen, I’m a bit disappointed to hear it – was waiting to see if Ford would call in the army. (But huzzah for any extra reading time.) And Jenn, the lack of profundity is clearly down to me. Thanks for stopping by!

5. Leanne says:

Aw, the snow day. Gotta love them. My kids and I went across the street to a friend’s house and were joined by all the neighbourhood moms and kids. It was a great throwback to the days when we were all on mat leave.
    Do you know the book, Snow Day? It’s an older kids snow day (lots of outdoor activities), but my little ones love it.

Thanks for stopping by, Leanne! I googled Snow Day and found 2 titles, one by Sakai (about a bunny) and another by Newberger Speregen) about a backhoe loader. Is either of these the one you mentioned?