Book attack

This week, I’m in Toronto and Ottawa meeting with booksellers and launching Body. It’s a flying trip and I won’t have time to catch up with old friends, buy handmade chocolates and pungent cheeses, or lounge in cafés – all things dear to my heart. But I will be in bookstores. Oh yes.

So it’s fitting that this week, I finally got around to looking at that Facebook meme – you know the one. It claims to be the BBC’s list of 100 books of which the average person will only have read 6. I’ve been tagged with it about a dozen times and always ignored it. But Fate is tricky like that. You see, there are almost 40 books on that list I haven’t read. A few that I’ve long intended to read. And others I feel shame in admitting I haven’t. (I’m sorry, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky!)

You see where I’m going with this. In a week when I’ll see more different bookstores than I typically do in a month, what can a bookish girl do but make up for lost time? I shall be buying

and

as well as presents for my family (who, fortunately, prefer presents with pages). And this is where I need you, bookish friends.

What are some of your favourite books? They don’t have to be from that silly meme, of course. They don’t have to be YA or recent, either. Just books from your personal Top 100.

P. S. At the risk of sounding repetitive: I’ll be at Type Books (883 Queen St West) tonight from 7 to 8.30. See you there!

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Book attack”

1. Colleen says:

I know you’ve read Cloud Atlas, so I won’t suggest it. But oh emm jee, Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall!

2. Viv says:

I know this is not “high” literature but one of my favorite books is Stephen McCauley’s The Object of My Affection. It was made into a so-so movie but the book is spectacular. The protagonist’s favorite food is salt! What not to love?

3. Tara says:

Greatest book in the world: Molokai by Alan Brennert. I’ve never been more moved in my life. Truly, if you only choose one book to sit down in read in your future, let it be this one. It’s about the Leper colony in Hawaii. Very beautiful. Can’t believe a dude wrote so well about a chick. Fabulous!!!!

4. Margaret says:

The Solitaire Mystery, by Jostein Gaarder, is an eternal favorite of mine that not nearly enough people have read. He’s better known for Sophie’s World, which is basically a history of philosophy framed with an intriguingly meta narrative, but The Solitaire Mystery is much better. All the same philosophical ponderings, but more fully integrated into a story and therefore also more engaging.

Sorry for the slow replies – still working on my sleep deficit after the roadtrip. Colleen: I own Wolf Hall. No reason I haven’t read it yet (it starts so well), so here we go. Viv: you’re a salt fiend, too? My brother buys me salt for birthday presents. Tara: duly noted! That’s a serious claim. And Margaret, you’ve neatly uncovered my weak spot: I am shamefully poorly read in languages other than English. Gaarder it is. Thanks, all!

6. EightiesTwin says:

I know I’m a little late here, but if I may throw my hat into the ring I would suggest:
    The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone

As cliché as it is to say, this book changed my life and I will be forever grateful. Your books look exactly like something my wife would love, and I’ll be buying the first one for her later today.
    Thanks,
    EightiesTwin

A book that changes your life sounds much too interesting to ignore – thanks for the rec! And I hope your wife enjoys Spy. Thanks for stopping by!