The anti-book trailer

Do you like book trailers? I don’t.

I hate waiting for them to load. They assume you read ve-ry slow-ly (Stephanie Burgis’s trailer for A Most Improper Magick is the exception that proves the rule). The music is crap coming from my laptop speakers. And they don’t make me want to buy the book. Result: I almost always axe them at the 15-second mark.

So what did I do this week? Inspired by Montreal-based auteur Non-Working Monkey (warning: Monkey has a potty-mouth), I made a book trailer. Mine, however, is an anti-book trailer that contains a piece of the finest performance art ever to emerge from the bizarre tool that is Microsoft Word’s Autosummarize. Or something. Anyway, here you have it.

I’m the one in the red boots.

This week in book news:

Fight Club meets High School Debate Tournament for YA fiction! Alyssa at the Shady Glade is organizing the first ever YA Bloggers Debut Book Battle! Over the next several weeks, 24 titles will compete – and Spy is among them. Ooh. I can’t wait to see how this turns out.

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “The anti-book trailer”

1. Loved it – LOVED IT! LOL My favorite part is the last line :)

2. Admin says:

Why, thank you! *boogies again*

3. Actually and literally brilliant. I particularly enjoyed the character of “The Internet”. I salute you, Y S Lee.

4. Admin says:

You are too kind, NWM. *genuflects deeply*

5. Nice going. I loved the dance move at the end! I’ve used that animation program and it’s tough on the first try to get it to do what you want it to… Nice camera angles as well!

I know what you mean about book trailers. Most are unimaginative. I think you might enjoy this one… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KloEAoKvBqA or this one… real short low budget one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi48VgHd8Tg

I’ve in the midst of archiving some trailers that surprise me at http://bit.ly/justbooktrailers

6. Admin says:

Thank you, Christopher! And thanks for the links. I love Libba Bray’s wit.

7. mrslarkin says:

OMG, that was hysterical! I had no idea there were book trailers. Hmmm..maybe i should do a scone trailer when i debut a new scone flavor…

8. Admin says:

Yes yes! Cheesy voiceover: “From the wilderness of Maine… and the cacao plantations of Mexico… this motley crew comes together to bring you: SCONE HEAVEN.”

9. Susan says:

xtranormal freaks me out just a little every time I see a video made with it…

10. Admin says:

In a marvelling-at-technology way, or a that’s-just-wrong way?