Good morning! Last night’s launch party was a smashing success, and I can now confess that I was paranoid for nothing. I had this vision of me standing in a room with 5 other people (bookseller, caterer, spouse, son, and one independent witness to my humiliation). Instead, we packed the house.
The space was the beautifully restored Victorian building that now houses the Body Now 4 Mums studio. Oscar sold the books, Joanna provided wonderful nibbles (garlicky spanakopita! rhubarb compote! pita with za’atar, sumac and fab vegan toppings! chocolate-covered marmalade! carrot cake! homemade limeade for the kids, in tiny green bottles with straws! and many things I didn’t even get a look at because I was in my corner, signing). The Catastrophizer was in charge of music, but no one heard the CD end because it was so raucous.
I learned a few things about launch parties that I feel compelled to share:
1. Arrive much earlier than you think is necessary. People started trickling in at 7pm for a 7.30 start!
2. Don’t lose the camera in the diaper bag.
3. Invite kids. They made it so delightful.
4. Enlist someone to bring you food & drink at the midway point.
5. Don’t expect to have meaningful conversations with your lovely friends. Just sign!
6. Bring more pens than you think you’ll need.
7. Breathe. It’s really happening.
8. Smile so hard your face hurts.